Today, I’m running for mayor to invest in our shared future. There are critical topics that need attention to protect our safety and growth. I have both the technical knowledge and the leadership experience to greatly benefit the City’s decision-making as we move to address the environmental challenges ahead.
During my ten years as a City Department head, I attended most City Commission meetings and workshops and all Strategic Planning sessions. I have a deep background on how the processes of City Government work and some ideas for how these processes can be improved. Based on that, these are the critical topics I feel need attention to protect our safety and growth:
- Emphasize infrastructure improvements (like storm water systems, bicycle paths and sidewalks) directly impacting residents.
- Strongly supporting the City Commission’s Resiliency Efforts; to accelerate infrastructure improvements proposed by the pending Sea Level Rise Adaptation Plan.
- Fulfill the Park Improvements recommended in the City’s Parks Master Plan (in progress); ensure all parks are included in the Plan. Maximize accessibility. Emphasize that maintenance of existing parks is fully supported and supervised. (I want our park system to provide the best environment for all residents to use and enjoy.)
- Re-launch MarshFest! Make it an annual event (à la Arts in the Park).
- Continue the expansion of and improvements to the Bike Path and sidewalk networks. Emphasize pedestrian & bicycle safety.
- Expand the Tree Planting program and Tree Adoption program for plantings outside street rights-of-way (ROW) / City Parks.
- Support Staff Retention and Professional Development – encourage City-sponsored membership in professional organizations (e.g. Florida Stormwater Association). Also, begin the process to fill senior staff position vacancies as soon as we become aware of the pending departure.
I also want to hear from you, to learn from your experiences here so we create a better Atlantic Beach for us all, together.
“I’m proud of our city, appreciate how past leaders have worked to maintain our wonderful lifestyle, and excited about the opportunities we have for an even greater future. As mayor, I will continue making Atlantic Beach a city we all love to call home.
Let’s Shore Up Atlantic Beach!“Rick Carper, Candidate for Atlantic Beach Seat 1, Mayor